A beautifully maintained deck and patio can be the crown jewels of your outdoor living space. They provide a perfect place to relax, entertain guests, or enjoy a meal on a warm summer evening. However, over time, exposure to the elements can leave your deck and patio looking less than perfect. That’s where pressure washing comes in as an effective solution to restore their shine. But, before you power up that pressure washer, it’s essential to know the do’s and don’ts of pressure washing for your deck and patio. As you make your home ready for the colder months of Jackson, GA, cleaning the patio or deck should be on the list. Today, we at Big Moose Pressure Cleaning would like to discuss the do’s and don’ts of pressure washing your deck and patio.
How Do You Pressure Wash a Deck without Damaging It?
1) Do Invest in the Right Equipment: When it comes to pressure washing your deck and patio, the right equipment is crucial. Ensure you have a pressure washer with adjustable pressure settings to control the force of water. A medium-duty machine is typically suitable for these surfaces.
2) Do Sweep and Clear the Area: Before you begin, remove any debris, furniture, and plants from the area. Sweep the deck and patio thoroughly to eliminate loose dirt and leaves. This will prevent debris from clogging your pressure washer and causing damage.
3) Do Use the Correct Nozzle: For wooden decks and delicate patio surfaces, use a wide spray pattern nozzle with lower pressure. This prevents damage to the wood or other sensitive materials. For tougher surfaces like concrete, you can switch to a higher-pressure nozzle.
4) Do Start Slowly: When you start pressure washing, always begin with the lowest pressure setting and a wider spray pattern. Gradually increase the pressure if needed but avoid high pressure on delicate surfaces as it can cause splintering or chipping.
5) Do Maintain a Consistent Distance: Keep the nozzle of the pressure washer about 12-18 inches away from the surface. Maintaining a consistent distance ensures an even clean without causing damage.
6) Do Use Proper Technique: Move the wand back and forth in a sweeping motion, working in the direction of the wood grain or patio pattern. This method helps in preventing streaks and ensures a uniform clean.
7) Do Allow for Drying Time: After pressure washing, give your deck and patio ample time to dry before applying any sealants or stains. This ensures better adhesion and longevity of the finish.
When Should You Not Do when You Power Wash a Deck?
1) Don’t Use Excessive Pressure: High pressure can be damaging to wood, concrete, and even stone. Avoid using too much pressure, as it can gouge the surface and strip away paint or finishes.
2) Don’t Get Too Close: Holding the nozzle too close to the surface can lead to etching and damage. Maintain a safe distance to protect your deck and patio.
3) Don’t Ignore Protective Gear: Pressure washing can result in water and debris flying back at you. Always wear appropriate safety gear, including safety glasses and closed-toe shoes.
4) Don’t Use Chemicals Without Caution: Be cautious when using chemicals for deck cleaning. Some can be harmful to your plants or the environment, so follow instructions carefully.
5) Don’t Neglect Regular Maintenance: Pressure washing is not a one-and-done solution. Regular maintenance is essential to keep your deck and patio looking their best. Consider annual or seasonal cleanings to prevent the buildup of grime and mold.
6) Don’t Rush: Take your time during the pressure washing process. Rushing can result in uneven cleaning and potential damage to your surfaces.
Pressure Cleaning, Power Washing & More in McDonough, Barnesville, Fayetteville, Covington, Locust Grove, Griffin, Stockbridge & Social Circle & Jackson, Georgia
Pressure washing your deck and patio can breathe new life into your outdoor space, but it must be done correctly. By following the do’s and don’ts outlined here, you can achieve a thorough, safe, and effective clean that preserves the beauty and integrity of your outdoor living areas. Always remember that when in doubt, seeking professional advice or services is a wise choice to ensure the longevity of your beloved outdoor spaces. It can be tricky to pressure wash your patio or deck, call Big Moose Pressure Cleaning and let us assist you.